Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I am home safe and sound. I had an adventure for sure. Accomplished what I was looking to accomplish. Not a bad month for sure.
My week at my sisters went well. Spending the first week of July in my hometown for the first time in over 20 years was great. A week well spent. I did a lot of cooking for my sisters family, so my sister had a break while she worked, coached soft ball, etc. I took lots of photos. Got 2 commissions for taking pictures. Fulfilled them both. How fun is that.

Then off to Bethany Beach I went. Shiloh had a head cold by then. Got sick in the car. We took the Cape May - Lewes Ferry into Delaware. It dropped me off 30 minutes from my best friends beach house. I am happy to say she had sobered up. And is still sober as of yesterday. I am sure it's not easy for her. She has a lot going on in her life and some life challenges that she will have to handle. Her husband has asked for a divorce. He has been a saint thru all this. But I understand where he is coming from. For 8 years out of this 13 year marriage she has refused to sober up and stay that way. Her love affair with the bottle is more valuable to her. Everyone deserves the chance at happiness. And you can only take so much before you say enough. I did notice while I was there how little interaction there was between them. She told me over the weekend that he asked for a divorce months ago. And she dove right back into the bottle. Or had just not come out of it yet. She's been in the hospital 4 times detoxing in 4 months. Not rehab. That hasn't worked 3 times. So I understand and I wish him nothing but happiness and peace.

My friend and I had a nice visit. We went boating, shopping, to the beach, and emergency vet stop for Shiloh. Upper respiratory infection. After 2 days of antibiotics she was a new puppy just full of life. And hasn't stopped being an outgoing and fun loving puppy since then.

I am home now. Everyone is happy to have me home. I just got a chance to show my photography at the art walk in downtown Hollywood. They have art night the 3rd Thursday of every month down town. I am having a showing in a bar called "Now Art Cafe". The place is eclectic. I have always loved the uniqueness of the place. I was downtown Saturday night, walked in, ended up talking to the owner who remembered me from years ago. One thing led to another and she wants me to show in her place. To promote my work, etc. She said she rarely shows anyone. She's picky. She will have a Martini tasting for me. Now how fun is that. My friends and family will all show up and support me. I guess motorcycle parking will have to be arranged. Right out front of course. Park a few bikes, more are sure to follow.

So now it's time to get busy, pick the best of the best. I have all the 20 somethings in my life putting in their 2 cents. Plus I will have my friends help. And last but not least the owner Angel pick her favorites. My work is so varied, that I may have to have a few shows. Or maybe she will want me to come and do it monthly. We will see. I need to find a place to print , matt and frame my work. I need to talk to Angel first and see what size she wants. Everything I show must be available for sale. No problem. Now it's time to see if people are willing to pay.

I am job hunting. Via on line applications. Not fun. Talk about not being able to sell yourself. And I am NOT bilingual. This is becoming a huge problem. Now my question is this. Is it not America? Is English not our language in this country? OK. I won't start on that. But everyone is requesting that you speak several languages. Down here it's Spanish, French and then English. French because of all the French Canadians. Now everyone should speak English. If I was in their country I would sure try to communicate first in their language. Not demand they speak English to me first. I guess I'm just old school on some things.

So now you know what's going on in my life. What's going on in yours?

20 comments:

heiresschild said...

hey carol, congrats on the upcoming pic showing. you'll do very well because you take excellent, colorful, and interesting pics.

i wish you the best in job hunting, although after your pic showing, you may not need to. that would be a good way for you to earn income.

i agree with you about the language barriers in this country. this is america, and english is our predominant language, so why should i know anything else here if i don't want to. as you said, if i go to another country, then i'd have to know their language, and they wouldn't necesaarily have to know mine. it doesn't seem to be a requirement anywhere except here, i believe.

anyhoo, glad you had a fun and safe vacation. sorry again we didn't hook up, but we shall. there's probably something so deep-rooted with your friend, she may not even know what it is by now without getting some counseling. rehab/detox is good, but counseling will help to get to the root problem. i'm glad her husband hung in as long as he did. maybe, just maybe, it may still work out. (wishful thinking)

heiresschild said...

ok, i'm back up and running after being a bit under the weather for the past week and some days. my DSL went out during this time (last thursday), but i didn't feel up to doing anything about it at the time, so called them this past wednesday when i was feeling better.

have you had a photo showing yet?

how's shiloh doing?

how's your grams doing?

how's job searching going?

hope all is well otherwise. have a great weekend!

beachgirl said...

Hi Sylvia,
Shiloh is growing like a weed. She had a banner week. She now runs up and down the steps and can jump on the sofa. Heaven help us.

I need to call Grams again. It's tough to get thru. The girlfriend hogs the phone line.

The photo show is in September. So far, so good.

Job search is not going well. I don't seem to be hirable. I'm not bi or tri lingual. Go figure.

I had a gorgeous and hot beach day today. Good for my mental picture.

Belizegial said...

Carol,

How wonderful that you are safely back home :) I enjoy reading about your travel experiences.

When I first landed in Miami and heard mostly spanish being spoken I was surprised as well. It seems that English is a second language and Spanish first. Go figure.

Good luck with your upcoming Martini tasting and art show. Let us know how it went, ok?

Have a great weekend,
Enid

heiresschild said...

hi carol, i was just thinking about you last nite. was thinking about the upcoming photo showing and wondering how things are coming along for you. i'm so excited for you. i wish i could be there; i know people are so going to enjoy your pictures. you take such great ones. i hope you put the birthday krispy kreme cake in there; people will really get a kick out of that one. *lol*

even though the job search is coming along slowly, enjoy your time off. you may never have to work again for someone else once your photo show takes place. you never know who'll be there to hire you to take pictures for them. then you could work off of your own schedule. wishful thinking!!!

here's to you and your photo show (raises glass in a toast)! LOL

heiresschild said...

HAPPY 5 MONTHS BIRTHDAY TO SHILOH!

heiresschild said...

hi carol,

i left comments on enid's blog last week that i'm keeping her in prayer about the hurricane.

also, my brother lives in the grand cayman islands and is being affected as well. i haven't heard from him, so i don't know how they are faring.

how are things with you in florida? is this hurricane affecting where you live?

heiresschild said...

carol, what's your birth date?

beachgirl said...

My birthday is September 4th. And I will be 49. Now I am confused as to how I can still claim to be 29 with a 29 year old child that looks just like me.

heiresschild said...

twins, perhaps?


that was so sweet of you to wish andre happy birthday, and then to join in the discussion with comments is an added plus. you go girlfriend!

have a great weekend! what are you and francesca up to? be nice to her wanna-be guy, ya hear? *lol*

Anonymous said...

Wishing you much fun with your show. It will go well, and once the matting and framing are done, its downhill from there! You can relax and enjoy!

Sounds like you are keeping busy, good luck in the job hunting.Maybe the art work will be all it will take...and you will be off and running your own business...

Best of Luck
Peg

heiresschild said...

peg, that's the same thing i told carol. this might be the start of her own business. she's certainly talented enough.

carol, i know you've taken lots of pics with you and francesca. are you going to post any here? i know you two are having a ball. take care.

beachgirl said...

Hi Sylvia,
I am having problems posting pictures. STILL>
My sons didn't have any luck either.

Now if you would like to post our picture. Please feel free to on your site.

wanda said...

Hi Carol and Franny!
Thanks for popping in and saying hello~ I am so happy to hear from you two and hear that you are having a great time...
I have been busy for so long I have not had time to even set up an e-mail account until this last week, but thanks to sylvia, I am back in the circle even if it is small, I don't have a lot of time, but I will squeeze in a moment here and there.. lol..

love and miss you all..
hugs away,
Wanda

heiresschild said...

hi carol, i can't imagine why your pics won't post. are you getting an error message of some sort?

beachgirl said...

Just more blonde moments!
Maybe Franny can help me this weekend if I can ever get her out of the water.

Leslie: said...

CAROL I went over to your site but can't get onto your comments page. Anyhooo...just wanted to say I'd love for you to post a photo of you and Franny together. Doesn't have to be in b*suits or on the beach. Just wanna SEE you guys! Tell Franny Happy B*Day.

Leslie: said...

Geez, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Thought I'd posted on Sylvia's site 'cuz I couldn't get on yours. So I came back over and lo and behold there's my post! Oh well, anyway, I've forgotten where I can see your photos online. I remember seeing them before, but have you added more? I'm trying to do a bit of photography myself and my daughter says my "eye" has vastly improved. Unfortunately, my "tool" is not the greatest. I'd love to see your photos again.

heiresschild said...

CONGRATULATIONS CAROL!!!!!!!!!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm so excited and happy for you. you're going to do well with your sales 'cause you got it goin' on with your photography.


now, you have to do a new post about your photography show. you go girl!!!!!!

heiresschild said...

HIGH FIVE!!!!