Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay has left the area.

We've had a few wet and windy days down here for sure. It's still really windy with a few rain bands floating in and out. But all is good. No flooding in my neighborhood, no damage to my cars or my body due to this storm. So all is good.

It always amazes me that the news over reacts to a possible storm. I know we need to be prepared, etc. But do they really have to stir up mass hysteria. Several of my neighbors put up their hurricane shutters. Are you kidding me. The wind only made it to 40 mph. I don't think we even got that high. The cover didn't even blow off my bike.

School was cancelled for 2 days. So all these kids down here got a longer summer vacation. Now I don't blame them for that. Safety first and it did start to get ugly yesterday afternoon. This morning was really ugly until around 11. My school closed today too. Better safe than sorry.

My friend Walter checked himself out of the hospital last night. He's had enough for awhile and needed to sleep in his own bed for the first time in 2 months. He's now recovering from open heart surgery. The chemo and the port they used to give it to him destroyed his heart valve. His surgery was last week. He's very cranky and mad at the world. His oldest daughter leaves for college tomorrow and he can't take her as planned. She's a nervous wreck.

His daughter called me last night at 10 o'clock needing my help. They needed help moving a recliner into his house so he could sleep and no one was strong enough to help. So she scared up a truck, I made a phone call for a few 20 something boys and we were there within 30 minutes. The boys enjoyed the adventure and like helping out a friend of the family. We pulled it off in between down pours in the middle of a storm. Walter got some sleep last night. His daughter knew he needed to sleep in a reclining type position. She wanted her dad comfy. We made it happen. She's a strong willed kid for sure. I had told her if she needed anything at all to call me and I would get it done.

Walter texted me this morning to say thank you. No thanks needed in my book. He's one of my best friends. He would do it for any one of us.

I hope all is well in your little corner of the world.

1 comment:

none said...

Glad the storm wasn't bad and I wish a speedy recovery for walter.