Saturday, September 08, 2007

Getting ready for MY FIRST PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW!!!!!

To say that I am a little excited, a little nervous and very critical of my own work. Is an understatement.
I am also a total control freak. And having people help me and be in control of something so personal is huge.
But I also believe in letting people do what they do best.

I take very nice pictures. I seem to have an eye and talent for things. I am also very artistic. My medium now seems to be photography. In previous periods of my life it has been music, crafts, and acting. Well we all act in our life. Life is a stage and our part is living it. How we choose to portray ourselves is our choice.

The very nice lady who owns the Now Art Cafe is also a control freak. Or she wouldn't have owned her very interesting gathering place for as long as she has. I have loved her Cafe since I first walked in the door almost 12 years ago. She didn't serve alcohol then. She's a martini bar now. Same ambiance. Beds, sofas, sitting areas, live music, etc. But she said when she turned 40 she wanted her place to grow up too. She used to just serve teas, coffees, desserts, etc. Now she has expanded.
The fact that she is having my first show is very telling. We're very similar in or uniqueness. Very free spirits.

Francesca is also a very big part of my first show. Her talent in putting together colors is invaluable in getting just the right touch in matting and framing. She helped choose the final 9 photos finishing touches. She's also handling the framing shop for me. I kind of lost my cool with the supervisor the other day. Something to do with his "not guaranteeing my work being in for my show on time". His whole attitude was just not in my best interest. I kept trying to get his attention back on my issues, he kept telling me how busy they were and trashing the competition. (Who happened to have gotten my first 4 prints back before their due date and they were nicely done.) Francesca managed to find a competent person in the department who was helpful and she found the information on the computer that they will be in on MONDAY. A few days late, but in time for my show on Saturday. Unlike the supervisor who is just inept.

So I find myself in a position of trusting others to handle their part in the scheme of things. I am usually in charge of all aspects of a function. But trust me. I will be dotting the i's and crossing the t's just to make sure it's how I want it to go.

Now if I could just get my web site the way I want it by Saturday I would be a happy camper. Frustrating. I really don''t like computers. Or maybe that I just don't know how to get them to do what I want them to do. Like post a picture on my blog. Too funny since I am a photographer.

I am also pet sitting my sons big dog for the weekend. So I pissed off the neighbors guest by asking them to keep their little male shi tzu on a leash while he is here. Give me credit. I didn't yell at her for not picking up it's poop. Remember I have 2 female shi tzu's . He thinks they are play toys. But I didn't want hers to be a snack for the big guy.

Lets just say my hormones sure chose a great time to show up and wreak havoc with my moods. Gotta love being 49 and being menopausal. I hear that is an excuse. Or should be.

Have an awesome weekend everyone. And if you hear of a crazy lady loosing it down in South Florida, the stress got to me.
And the framing supervisor got his just rewards.

14 comments:

beachgirl said...

Hi everyone,
Take all errors in spelling for what they are. Blame the computer I say. Not the typist.
I am also ADHD on a good day and my fingers and brain don't always work at the same speed. How I ever manage to take such great pictures, I have no idea. It just works.

Thanks for stopping by.

Carol

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping everthing is done in time for the show so you can kick back, put your feet up on a coffee table and sip a cup of hot chocolate....and if everything isn't done in time...STILL remember to sit back and relax, put your feet up on a coffee table and sip on a cup of hot chocolate and relax and enjoy. I can almost guarantee you, the world will still be turning tomorrow. (my favorite saying...)

Peg

beachgirl said...

Thanks Peg

heiresschild said...

hi carol, i think a large part of any successful venture is delegating duties to others. we can't do everything, so if we delegate and allow people to do certain things, it frees us up to do other things that need to get done, yet we're still overseeing the whole venture to make sure things are getting done and deadlines are being met. i'm glad francesca has been a big help to you.

sounds like you have things under control. relax and trust God to bring it all together, you're going to do just fine.

beachgirl said...

Hi Sylvia,
I sure wish you were down here to keep me calm.
Your calming influence would be a blessing for sure.
Carol

Belizegial said...

Hi Carol,

Thanks for all the positive thoughts you have been sending my way. Much needed and appreciated.

I am hopeful that things will go well for your upcoming showing at the Now Art cafe. It's great to know that Francesca is there with you and helping you to put together colors for the matting and framing.

Please keep us posted on how things are progressing there in South Florida.

Good luck and best wishes,
Enid

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

I just love to see your pictures. I hope you can post them soon. God bless.

beachgirl said...

Hi Mel,
Thank you for stopping by. A few people have seen my pictures. Sylvia has them as a screen saver show.
I add to her show whenever I get a really nice one.
I am still putting together the finishing touches for the show. All my pieces are in from the frame shop. They had to re-frame several pieces. They put the wrong pictures into the wrong frames. Thankfully it was an easy switch. They just had to move the pictures. The supervisor was helping me, and I just looked at him. I believe I made my point about things coming in on time.

Have an awesome day.
Carol

heiresschild said...

alright now carol girlfriend; winding down 'til the big day. stay calm and peaceful. don't be panicked; it'll all be ok. i'm so excited.

Leslie: said...

Best of luck with the show. Did you get the SB newsletter telling everyone he's found his lady? He chose Lori which is a complete surprise to me. I met her on the Alaska cruise and there was absolutely NO indication that they were even "friendly" let alone interested in each other. Oh well.

wanda said...

HI Carol and Franny,
I know you will do Wonderfully!!!
there is no reason to even wish you the best of Luck~ I have full reason to believe you are already a huge success!
My Trip to Idaho was Wonderful! My family just Loves Bryon, I am happy to be home, now it is time to get busy and nose to the grindstone again though and put together a program on this computer for Bryon for his business, yuck, I really would rather be outside in the last of the warm weather instead of in front of the screen... with that said I guess I had better get to work, so I will close for now and Thank you for stopping by my blog, I love seeing you there too..
hugs,
Wanda

heiresschild said...

hi carol, well, your BIG DAY is over, and i know you did well, and i want details, details, details. can't wait to hear about your show and see pics from the main event.

beachgirl said...

Hi everyone,
The event well really well for a first show. Franny and her friend were there all night. Her friend brought friends. I hung out in the back all night entertaining everyone who came back to see my work. I didn't sell anything. But that's ok. I networked and I know some will sell soon. I am officially out there in the art world now.
I got a lot of compliments. My family had fun and answered lots of questions for anyone asking and looking. My friends were out in full force.
I had a nice time.
My work is still hanging and that will make a solid week with it on display. I will take it down on Wednesday night. And do follow up this week.

Have an awesome day.

heiresschild said...

hi carol,

i'm glad all went well for you, and the networking part is going to be really good for your future business. it's also good that your work is still on display. hopefully, you'll get some sales real soon. i know you put a lot of time and effort into getting ready. it'll pay off, don't worry.

today, you can sit back and chill a little after all the hard work. enjoy! tell francesca i said hi.