Saturday, November 22, 2008



This is a picture of my best friend Nancy and I taken a year ago.

Nancy is a chronic alcoholic.. Tomorrow she will enter rehab again and try to stay sober. My friend Henry and I found her a place close to us so we can monitor the situation. She flew into Jacksonville on Thursday from DC (lives there) to her parents house. They will be driving her down tomorrow. Henry and I did volunteer to pick her up at the airport and drive her to rehab. Henry will celebrate his 13th anniversary on 12/18 of sobriety. For him it's a daily struggle not to self medicate. I do get it. But he has his life back. Is very successful and has no desire to loose it now.

This is something she has been talking about for months. So we found her a place. She was trying to convince everyone she needed to go to Aruba. It sounded more like a vacation to us. So we found her a place close to the beach, but half the price and not a vacation resort.

Now Nancy is a tough one. I think the longest she has stayed sober is 9 months. After the last rehab years ago. She has lost her husband, her friends, her business. Nothing seems to matter to her but getting drunk to a comatose level. Vodka in her morning tea. Wine all day. Her husband took her car away. Had to so she wouldn't kill anyone.

To say that I am tough on her when she calls is an understatement. I just don't get it.

I sobered up 3 years ago so I could get my life back. I have it back in full force an I love being sober. I really think she is afraid to start living again. She hibernated in her town house in the DC suburbs and does NOTHING. She watches tv all day. Even when she has detoxed herself and is sober for a few days. She's 48. She has totally lost her 40's to being a drunk. I look back at my 40's as an adventure. Even though I was totally dependent on Xanex and drank like a fish. I still lived a life, worked, etc. When it got really bad was after I stopped working. It only took a few months to see I really needed help and start getting my life back on track. And a ton of support and no mincing of words from those who loved me. But I had to do it for me. And it sucked and was not easy. And I have no desire to ever go back into that hell. Or go thru detox again. I feel like I finally have my brain back after years of Dr's saying I needed medication for anxiety and depression. And it's taken 3 years to have my brain function properly. The long lasting side affects of the Xanex, and anti depression meds are incredible. I came off the drugs with no Dr and never asked them if I could. I took control myself. And continue to stay in control. No excuses.

So please keep Nancy in your prayers. I really hope she finally makes some progress. But she is stubborn. She continues to fight anyone who voices an opinion. Maybe if she channeled all that will into being sober she just may make it this time. What do they say, "let go and let God".

Henry and I will be going up to see her when they let us. Henry will arrange to speak up there while she is there as a favor to me. But she has to want it bad enough to succeed. We can only wish her well.

7 comments:

BBC said...

I've known women like that and they never could stop and get it together. I wish her luck but it's strictly up to her.

BBC said...

"Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing; no one to blame." ~Erica Jong~

Of course some folks can't seem to get through life without someone or something else to blame for their bad decisions.

But I don't know her so I don't know if that is the case with her.

beachgirl said...

I agree it's strictly up to her.

I've known her for 35 years. She just doesn't seem like she wants to start living again. Time will tell.

Ian Lidster said...

You are a good friend. God love you, and God love Nancy. And thank you for loving her until she can love herself. I work with Nancy and her equivalents for a few hours each week so I know the perilous path at many levels, including experientially. Ultimately, she will either 'get it' or she will die, like my mother did from the same disease. May it be the former rather than the latter.

beachgirl said...

What's so sad is her older sister died of the disease at age 45. Nancy is 48. And I think she just doesn't want to be functioning. But at least she is trying this. So there is still hope.

Cheryl said...

I'm so proud of you for your sobriety. Congratulations. I can only imagine how hard it must have been, but you did it and continue with a strong will.

I hope Nancy can do it. She has to want it and I'm not sure she does. Please keep us updated.

heiresschild said...

hi Carol, i remember Nancy from when you were here a couple of years ago, and i'm glad she's taken the first step in relocating and entering rehab. sounds like she self-medicates with the alcohol. i wonder what's so painful in her life that she just doesn't want to face it.

you're such a good friend, and i'm glad you keep sticking with her. prayerfully, this time will be the time that Nancy lets go, goes forward, and doesn't go back.

you have a great testimony youself. CONGRATULATIONS to you! hugs!